DiverSFFy: The Empyrean Key



DiverSFFy is a feature hosted by yours truly! The goal is to get the word out about books in science fiction and fantasy that do a good job of portraying people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives - be it race, sexual orientation, gender, socioeconomic levels, etc. I'd love it if you joined in - just link me to your posts in the comments or on twitter (@spidersilksnow)!

This week's pick: The Empyrean Key by JL Tomlinson
23635638

The Rundown

Title: The Empyrean Key
Author: JL Tomlinson
Genre: Fantasy

So what's so diverse about this book?

As you can tell by the cover, the main character is a woman of color. Not only is she discriminated against for her dark skin, she is also an outcast because of her white hair, which marks her as part of a race of prophets. Her two best friends are a barmaid and a bookworm, which are certainly not the usual crew in epic fantasy. Even better, the antagonist is a sinister queen who sent shivers down my spine. There are a lot of women in this book, and they all interact with each other in some form or other, which is exciting in the world of epic fantasy. The author is also a woman of color, so help support more diverse authors!

Why you should read it:

This is a very fast and fun read, and the first chapter had me giggling. I am a sucker for roguish characters, and the three main characters definitely fall in that category. If you enjoy books that have a lot of friendly banter and ridiculous situations, I would definitely recommend this one!

The Twitter version:


blog signature photo 4bf1c374-231a-40b6-8756-317f9308721c_zpsf45cae08.jpg
Follow on Bloglovin

Comments

  1. Friendly banter and ridiculous banter are two of my favorite things - especially in fantasy. This book is already on my 'I-want' list (thanks to your review) and this was the final push it needed to get much higher on that list. While I'm not very experienced in diverse books (I'm trying to be though) I really look forward to seeing more suggestions from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad this post made you want to read this book even more! I'm trying to read more diverse books so that I can have more of these posts and spread the word about them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jolien @ The Fictional ReaderApril 30, 2015 at 7:34 AM

    I received this book for review from the author, but haven't had time to read it yet. I'm definitely curious though! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Insidious Side of the Golden Milk Latte

The Supremely Fabulous Fantasy Subgenre Flowchart

Way of Kings Readalong: Wrap-up