Top Ten Tuesday 40 - Books for the Halloween Spirit!



Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Top Ten Books/Movies To Read Or Watch To Get In The Halloween Spirit

I have been kind of AWOL for a couple of weeks because life has been so so busy. I feel like I haven't had time to breathe because every day is a 12 hour day, and then homework and dance practices and midterms and applying for jobs...whooo college! It's times like these when I really want to be out of here!

Ok, mini rant aside, I think getting into the Halloween spirit will help calm me down and make life a little happier, so here are some books I have read or want to read!

1. Neil Gaiman is the master of making truly chilling creatures as well as sinister characters that turn out to be lovable in the end. I really liked The Graveyard book, which has a bit of both. I recently found out was loosely based on The Jungle Book (how did I never pick up on that? Mindblown)

2. The Monstrumologist FREAKED ME OUT. It's full of really terrifying creatures, and in a Frankenstein-esque way, it makes you wonder who the real monsters are...

3. This is a short story, but I saw a one-act play of it in elementary school and it has freaked me out ever since. Ghostly heartbeats that only you can hear...shudders


4. This one isn't technically horror, but it's dark fantasy and I'm really excited to read it (Thank you, Secret Sister, for sending this to me!). I feel like getting into the mind-space of a villain totally counts as part of the creepy Halloween spirit.

20821111

5. This is a book about post-apocalyptic America after a zombie epidemic hits. What makes it scarier is how plausible the science is, and how personal the stories are, because you start to care about people and then BAM bad things start to happen to them...

7094569
6. I'm reading this one right now, and it's pretty damn creepy (but also oddly funny? I don't know, it's really hard to explain). There is torture and death and brutality, but there is also a lot of wit and dark humor. I think that mix captures the spirit of Halloween pretty well!


7. A classic horror novel if there ever was one! I actually really liked reading the original Dracula after growing up on cartoonish parodies. It's a pretty creepy story, and what's cool is that it's told mostly through journal entries and newspaper clippings.

17245

8. I read this one a while ago, and it's a really creepy story about a ballet school and the sinister things that happen behind closed doors. The element of the supernatural is subtle, but at the end it comes through with full force!

12788061
9. This book gave me nightmares when my third grade teacher read it to our class, but it was SO GOOD. This is one of the most memorable books I read as a child.
17062
10. Last but not least, a book written by two brilliant writers that made me laugh hysterically about the apocalypse. Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman put together this hilarious parody of The Omen, and it's just great!
12067

Have you read any of these? Did any of these make you shiver or make your skin crawl?

blog signature photo 4bf1c374-231a-40b6-8756-317f9308721c_zpsf45cae08.jpg





Follow on Bloglovin

Comments

  1. Jessica @ a GREAT readOctober 28, 2014 at 6:03 AM

    Nice! Just read the Young Elites and it was definitely an odd kind of read. Though I liked it. Dracula is always the perfect kind of read for Halloween! As is the original B&W film with Bela Lugosi! Though moreso for laughs then chills!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edgar Allan Poe, is always a must!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaiman has a couple short stories that fit into the spirit as well. Check out Snow, Glass, Apples- it can be read free with a quick google search and is wonderfully creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Confession time: I have never read a Neil Gaiman book... I know. I just have this feeling that I won't really like his writing style -I don't even know why I feel that way. I've never read any Edgar Allan Poe either. Oops.

    Joe Abercrombie's books are definitely on my TBR list though! As well as Dracula and The Young Elites. I really liked Marie Lu's other books so I'm hoping I will love this one as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these books are basically on my reading list *groan* I fail at this Halloween book post >.< Except, Poe, I love anything by Poe ♥ But yeah, I've heard wonderful things about The Monstrumologist, Feed...and Neil Gaiman, which I have yet to read as well *cringe* Oh and of course, The Young Elites is on my wishlist :D Awesome picks ^^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Insidious Side of the Golden Milk Latte

The Supremely Fabulous Fantasy Subgenre Flowchart

Way of Kings Readalong: Wrap-up