Feature and Follow #6



Gain new followers and make new friends with the Book Blogger Feature & Follow! The Feature & Follow is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee's View.

This week's question: What do you do with books you don't like? Do you power through or DNF?

Even if I don't like a book, I will usually finish it (if only to write a rant about it haha). I'm quite proud of the fact that out of my 800 ratings on goodreads, only 21 of them are books I didn't finish.

Here's my list of things that will make me abandon a book:

  • hate the main character - If I can't stand you, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to want to read about your life story. This happened really recently as you can see in my review of Meg Cabot's Abandon.
  • The story takes way too long to go anywhere - If I'm reading a book about hunting for a white whale on an accursed ship, and I've gotten to page 200 before we even set sail, I'm sorry but I don't have the patience for this (cough cough Moby Dick).  This is probably the most common reason I DNF a book - even if I don't like a book, I'll finish it just to rant, but if I'm utterly bored, I have no incentive to finish.
  • I don't like the writing style - This doesn't happen often, but sometimes I find the writing style too pretentious or really annoying. This happened most recently with Emma Donoghue's Room. I just could not deal with a five year old narrating about such a devastating and traumatic topic.

What books tick you off enough that you don't finish them?


Follow on Bloglovin

Comments

  1. Jessica@a GREAT readAugust 2, 2013 at 6:33 AM

    Yeah I think I've only DNF'd a few. Haven't really counted them. There have been a few DNF reviews as well, but really not certain on the number! Definitely less than 10! Maybe closer to 5?

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I always feel the need to finish a book if I start it. I'm a bloglovin follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *new gfn follower* Wow 800 goodreads ratings...jeepers and only 21 DFN's that is a great stretch of greatness if I do say so myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tilly @ Hardcore HeroinesAugust 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM

    Agreed! I try to power through, but sometimes...no. If I hate the main character, why would I care what happens to her? Rarely though, I read a book just to see what happens to the side-characters.


    Thanks for stopping by my FF! New follower via Bloglovin'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I usually just decide based on general "meh" feeling. Or sometimes I decide to read another book and never end up caring enough to go back.


    Old follower =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate to not finish a book. It does happen occasionally though. I always give it my best effort before giving up.

    New follower!

    Laura

    www.thebooknerd2013.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Insidious Side of the Golden Milk Latte

The Supremely Fabulous Fantasy Subgenre Flowchart

Way of Kings Readalong: Wrap-up